As a successful Houston criminal attorney, wife of a Rabbi and mother of three, Lisa Shapiro Strauss knows well the struggles that women face in trying to be everything to everyone all the time.
In “How Do You Do It All,” an article published in the Winter 2014 edition of The Defender, a Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association publication, she discusses these issues and offers advice to fellow women attorneys and other working moms on how to overcome them, including:
- Get help! If you can, hire someone to help with household chores so you can spend more quality time with your family, and less time with the dishes and the never-ending pile of laundry.
- Prioritize. Look at your extracurricular activities and take off your plate what doesn’t need to be there. Eventually the kids will get older, you’ll have more time, and you can add more back into your schedule.
- Take care of yourself. Whether it’s waking up early to jog before getting the kids off to school or skipping out of work a little early to go to yoga. And don’t forget the importance of a good night’s sleep!
- Be prepared. Lisa leans on her iPad, scanner and Dropbox so she can have her client files at her fingertips at a moment’s notice. When you’re a busy attorney and mom on the go, access is essential!
- Enjoy your family. Turn your smartphone off, ignore email and social media alerts, and take the time each day to spend quality time just enjoying each other. Our children grow up too quickly, and you will never regret having spent that time with your family.